St John Wilderness Church is an ancient building which is one of the finest churches in the hill station of India. The Church is located at the north end, calm and serene place of Mallital town.
The church was built in the year 1852 and one of the oldest and finest churches. As per the beliefs, Daniel Wilson, the Bishop of Kolkata had visited Nainital in order to build this church. He got ill and did not have the choice but to stay in an unfinished house, on the corner of the forest. Therefore, the church got its name as St. John’s Wilderness Church. It has a brass plaque on which the inscription of the victims of the 1880 landslide at Kangra which killed about 19,800 people along with the thousands of injured people.