In the holy city of Haridwar, a temple which is dedicated to Goddess Chandi Devi named Chandi Devi Temple is situated on atop of the Neel Parvat on the Sivalik Hills at the left shore of the river Ganga. It has got the privilege of considering itself amongst the famous “Shaktipeethas”. This Temple was built in 1929 by the king Suchet Singh. It is believed to be a highly blessed temple where desires get fulfilled. Leather accessories, non vegetarian food and alcoholic drinks are strictly prohibited in the temple premises.
According to the methodology, the kingdom of Lord Indra was overtaken by two demons, Shumbh and Nishumbh. The two demons started torturing the deities; therefore, from the cells of Goddess Parvati, a very beautiful Goddess Chandika was created to kill the demons. The Goddess Chandika firstly killed demon’s chiefs of army, Chand Mund and then she killed the demon kings Shumbh Nishumbh. After killing the demons, she took a rest at the Neelparvat.
Location and how to reach there
The Temple is located at a distance of 4 kilometres from Har ki Pauri. To reach here, one has to go via either a three kilometre trekking route from Chandighat reach the shrine or climb the rope-way (cable car) service.